Your dentist, Dr. Randy Fagan, offers outstanding preventive, restorative, and cosmetic services that optimize oral health and function. If you need a dental crown, our state of the art office in Broken Arrow, OK, is the place to be. Here are the details on this tried and true restoration.
The versatile dental crown
A tooth-shaped cap crafted from high-quality porcelain, a dental crown replaces damaged enamel above the gum line. It fits over your tooth and properly bites with its neighbors on the opposite arch.
Crowns serve many purposes, including:
- Strengthening a tooth harmed by extensive decay, dental abscess, or traumatic injury
- Protecting a tooth spared by root canal therapy
- Improving the appearance of an undersized or misshapen tooth, such as a peg-shaped lateral incisor
- Anchoring a fixed bridge consisting of one or more artificial teeth
- Topping off a dental implant, today's premier tooth replacement option
Qualifying for a dental crown
To determine if a dental crown would help your smile, your dentist will examine and X-ray your tooth right in his Broken Arrow, OK, office. If all is well, Dr. Randy Fagan will anesthetize the area surrounding your tooth and remove the failing portions. Also, oral impressions give the dental lab a negative imprint of the tooth and surrounding hard and soft tissues.
Expect to wear a temporary crown until you receive your permanent restoration. Your dentist will remove it when your new one is ready.
Fortunately, today's crowns are very durable and realistic in form and function. The porcelain resists stains and is color-matched to your other teeth. To keep your gums healthy and your crown, chip-free, bright, and functional, be sure to:
- Brush twice daily as the American Dental Association (ADA) advises.
- Floss once a day to remove food residues that cause decay under the cap and gum disease around it.
- Use an acrylic mouthguard to cushion the destructive pressures of habitual teeth clenching and grinding.
- Visit Dr. Fagan twice yearly for a professional exam and cleaning.
- Never use your teeth to chew ice, crack open walnuts, or tear plastic packaging.
Get the help you need
A dental crown lasts for years and years. So, why not use one to preserve your tooth and avoid extraction? See Dr. Randy Fagan for more information. For an appointment with this skilled dentist, call his Broken Arrow, OK, office at (918) 455-6406.